WHO WE ARE
Who we are
What We Do
How we do it
Student Support: We have hosted three medical students from the UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine who worked in the UCLA-DRC Research Program and presented a poster of their summer research at a School of Medicine event in Fall 2015.
Post-Doctoral Student Support: With Faucett Catalyst Funds, we were able to hire Vivian Alfonso as our Faucett post-doctoral researcher. Since she started working with us, we have submitted 3 manuscripts that are out for submission and waiting for response from the journals.
Posters and Presentations: In October 2015, the UCLA-DRC group had 14 posters and oral presentations accepted at the Annual American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene meeting in Philadelphia, PA.
UCLA-DRC Infrastructure: In Spring 2015, we were able to purchase a new vehicle for the UCLA DRC Research Program in Kinshasa with FCF funds. We also received funding to support 2 apartments for UCLA-DRC students, staff and visitors to the program
• Training the next generation of global health workers and field epidemiologists
• Building and maintaining important collaborative relationships with a diverse array of global health partners
• Supporting sustainable immunization campaigns, eradication efforts, and surveillance activities
• Helping implement DRC’s Demographic and Health Survey
• Conducting nationally-representative serosurveys towards understanding population immunity to vaccine preventable diseases
• Understanding the epidemiology of symptomatic and asymptomatic Ebola exposures
• Monitoring high risk populations for emerging and reemerging zoonotic infections
• Mapping and digitizing population datasets to support public health decision making
• Assessing the impacts of environmental and nutritional exposures on infectious disease patterns
• Developing models for detection of interspecies spillover events